ATTENTION MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS!
The Uchina Junior Study Program (formerly the Junior Study Tour) is an annual immersion program that brings 15 middle and high school students to the islands of Okinawa. Sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Government, elected students are given an all-expense-paid trip to study Okinawan history, culture, society, and Diaspora, with an emphasis on nature, peace, and identity. Students will also be given the opportunity to interact with Uchinanchu from around the world as well as students from Okinawa, with the hope that bonds and understandings will develop between overseas Uchinanchu and their mother island.
Posted in Junior Study Program, Kenjinkai, Members, Okinawa Prefectural Government, Scholarships, Young Okinawans of SoCal (YOSC)
Tagged high school students, immersion program, junior study program, junior study tour, middle school students, oaa, okinawa, okinawa association of america, okinawan, ryukyu, ryukyuan, study abroad, uchina, uchinanchu, 沖縄
The 2013 application for the Kempi Scholarship to study in Okinawa is now available for interested persons. This unique and incredibly wonderful opportunity has been around a long time, but has changed and expanded in the past few years.
This annual scholarship provides three different opportunities:
- study one year at one of five universities in Okinawa: University of Ryukyus, Okinawa University, Okinawa International University, Okinawa Prefectural University of Arts, Meio University
- study one year at a university and one year of fieldwork
- study a traditional Okinawan art (dance, textiles, sanshin, music, etc.) for one year
To be eligible to apply:
- Must be recommended by an Okinawa Kenjinkai in the US (contact your local Kenjinkai or OAA for more details)
- Must be between 18 and 35 years of age (not older than 35 by April 1, 2013)
- Must have some basic Japanese language skills (level requirement varies depending on which scholarship opportunity)
- Must have relatives or family friend who is willing to sponsor the student
For more information or to obtain a copy of the application, please contact Yuko in the OAA office as soon as possible.
DEADLINE: October 15, 2012, Monday by 4:00pm
Posted in Kempi Scholarship, Kenjinkai, Members, Okinawa Prefectural Government, Scholarships, Young Okinawans of SoCal (YOSC)
Tagged kempi scholarship, meio university, oaa, okinawa, okinawa association of america, okinawa international university, okinawa prefectural university of arts, okinawa university, okinawan, scholarship, study abroad, uchina, uchinaaguchi, uchinanchu, university of ryukyus