Every five years the Okinawa Prefectural Government (OPG) holds a festival inviting Uchinanchus (people of Okinawan descent) from all over the world to come home to Okinawa to celebrate, reconnect and established new friendships and connections. This year’s festival will be October 31 through November 3, 2022. The OAA has some information available regarding the festival. This is NOT the official Taikai website. Read more: https://oaataikai2022.wordpress.com
RSVP IS REQUIRED BY JULY 15 TO ATTEND
April 23, 2022 (Saturday)
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Pacific Time
OAA Center Parking Lot
16500 South Western Avenue, Gardena, California 90247
Streetside Parking Only; FACE MASKS REQUIRED
Please contact the OAA office
firstname.lastname@example.org, (310) 532-1929
Hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4 p.m.
on JUNE 3, 2022 OR postmarked* by JUNE 3, 2022
* If mailing the documents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to inform the OAA office about submission and follow-up to confirm delivery.
Every year, the Okinawa Association of America, Inc. (OAA) recognizes and rewards graduating high school seniors of Okinawan descent. The selection process will be based on the student’s academic accomplishments, extracurricular activities, community contributions, transcript, essays, letters of recommendation, financial need and special consideration for community hours at the OAA.
- Graduating high school seniors (class of 2022) of Southern California* who will attend college in the 2022 – 2023 academic year (* with exception given to members outside of the area who actively participate with OAA)
- Children of Okinawan ancestry
- Children of parent(s) who are current 2021 members of the OAA
- Students with a GPA of 3.0 and above
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor or counselor on official letterhead with person’s title and signature (family recommendations will not be accepted; points may be deducted for missing letterhead, signature, etc.)
- Two (2) essays
- Application must be typed, printed out, and signed (handwritten applications will not be accepted)
- All required documents must be postmarked by June 3, 2022 OR hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4.p.m. on June 3, 2022
Scholarship recipients will be notified prior to the OAA Annual Picnic on Sunday, July 17, 2022 (subject to change) when scholarship awards presentation will take place virtually or in person. Recipients are asked to participate in this event live, if possible.
SOCIALLY DISTANT BUT HEARTS CONNECTED
A fundraising campaign benefitting
the Okinawa Association of America (OAA)
in Gardena, California
November 20 – 30, 2021