SOCIALLY DISTANT BUT HEARTS CONNECTED
A fundraising campaign benefitting
the Okinawa Association of America (OAA)
in Gardena, California
November 20 – 30, 2021
ABOUT THE FUNDRAISER
The well being of our volunteers and members – many of whom are senior citizens – is our biggest concern. As a result, the OAA Board of Directors has decided to once again cancel this year’s physical OAA Okinawa Bazaar fundraiser. Instead, we are bringing back the “Kukuru Sumiti: Socially Distanced But Hearts Connected” fundraising campaign.
The strict lockdown in Southern California made it necessary to continue thinking outside of the box in order to serve our mission of preserving, perpetuating, and promoting Okinawan culture. Thanks to our dedicated volunteers, generous donors, and tech-savvy organizers, we have been able to continue hosting cultural and senior-focused activities.
- Bilingual staff and volunteers have been making “house calls” to check in on our senior members
- 200 care packages and 400 fabric face masks were given to OAA seniors
- Drive-thru Keirō Kansha no Hi (Senior Appreciation Day), with senior members picking up 270 bentōs and care packages
- Virtual/Online Events: Virtual Picnic, Irei no Hi (Battle of Okinawa), Afro-Okinawan Dialogues, Young Okinawans (YOSC) (lecture about Okinawa’s lunar calendar, Taco Rice cook-along)
- Virtual New Year’s Party (January)
- Virtual Picnic featuring performances, scholarship awards, and virtual Eisaa and Bon Dance (July)
- Mata Majun: Together Again in-person volunteer orientation (August)
- Drive-thru Keirō Kansha no Hi (Senior Appreciation Day) with 250 bentōs and care packages picked up by eligible senior OAA members (October)
- The continuation of our monthly Nuchaashii Gatherings on Zoom (last Thursdays)
- Since April 2020, over 3,000 reusable fabric face masks have been hand-sewn by a group of local seniors and donated to local facilities, our senior members, and various organizations
If you have the financial means to do so, we ask if you would consider supporting the OAA by purchasing raffle tickets and our fundraiser book, bidding in our online silent auction, and/or making a direct tax-deductible donation. Our annual OAA Bazaar on average brings in $20,000 – $25,000 net profit. Our goal for the Kukuru Sumiti 2021 campaign is to raise $10,000 or more. We know we can reach our goal with your help!
If you have questions or are interested in donating a raffle prize or silent auction item, please contact the OAA office: firstname.lastname@example.org, (310) 532-1929 (please leave a voice message)
ABOUT THE OAA BAZAAR (CANCELLED FOR 2020 & 2021)
The annual Okinawa Bazaar is the Okinawa Association of America (OAA)’s largest annual fundraiser and the only Okinawa-focused festival in Southern California.
What started out as a small gathering of members has grown into an intergenerational cultural event that brings together hundreds of families for an afternoon of tasty food, soulful entertainment, fun games, raffle drawings, and more.
This event is organized by the Okinawa Association of America (OAA) in Gardena, California, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization formed by Okinawan immigrants over a century ago. The organization has been kept alive by multiple generations of driven volunteers and generous donors.
“We are continuing the work of our founders and early leaders,” said Edward Kamiya, OAA President. “Also, we are truly honored that so many of their families are continuing their legacy by donating to and/or volunteering at the OAA.”
(Shiisaa and cloud illustrations from http://illust.okinawa)
RAFFLE PRIZES • ラッフル
TICKETS ARE ONLY $1 EACH!
PRE-ORDER DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 19, 2021 (Postmarked)
Download Order Form & Raffle Ticket Sheet (PDF)
WINNERS ANNOUNCED LIVE on November 28, 12 noon Pacific!
If you have questions or are interested in donating a raffle prize, please contact the OAA office: email@example.com, (310) 532-1929 (please leave a voice message)
- GRAND PRIZE: $400 for 1 Lucky Winner!
Sponsored by the OAA
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite with 128GB microSD card and protective cover (8.7″ Tablet, 64 GB, Wi-Fi Dark Gray)
(each approx. $300 value)
Generously donated by the Enomoto, Ishiara, Kamiya, Korenaga, Shimabukuro, Shimane, and Sugiyama Families
- 32″ Toshiba Fire TV
(approx. $200 value)
Generously donated by Dennis and Joan Oshiro
- Gift certificates to Auntie’s Cafe (Gardena, CA), Azuma Japanese Restaurant (Gardena, CA), Tokyo Central
Generously donated by Rachael Kamiya, Azuma Japanese Restaurant, David Fusato
- Gift cards to Amazon, Cinemark, Coffee Bean, Lucille’s BBQ
Generously donated by Gary & Irene Tokumoto, Ken & Kristin Yamauchi
- Plus more to be announced!
Prizes subject to change without notice. Raffle prize winners will be notified by the OAA office via phone or email. Gift cards and small items can be mailed to winners. The OAA is not responsible for items that are damaged or lost during the shipping process. All other prizes must be picked up by appointment only at the OAA office in Gardena, CA before December 30, 2021. The designated pick-up person is required to wear a face mask. Prizes that are not claimed by the deadline will be forfeited and donated back to the OAA. もし勝利者になった場合は北米沖縄県人会 (OAA) の事務局から電話かEメールで通知致します。ギフト•カードか小さな賞品は郵送で当選者に届けます (OAAは、配送プロセス中に破損または紛失したアイテムについては責任を負いません)。その他の賞品は２０２１年１２月３０日迄にOAA事務所でピックアップしてください (予約が必要)。ピックアップする方は、フェイス•マスクを着用する必要があります。締め切り日までに受け取れなかったアイテムは喪失品とみなし、OAAへの寄付として取り扱いますのでご了承願います。
(Flower illustrations from http://illust.okinawa)
ONLINE SILENT AUCTION
Start your holiday gift shopping early -OR- treat yourself while supporting the OAA’s fundraiser! ホリデーギフトのショッピングを早期に開始しながら北米沖縄県人会をサポートしてください!
Bidding starts on November 20th at 2 p.m. Pacific Time!
(See instructions below)
If you have questions or are interested in donating a silent auction item, please contact the OAA office: firstname.lastname@example.org, (310) 532-1929 (please leave a voice message)
- 3 “Park Hopper” Passes to Disneyland & California Adventure + Disney Bundle
Generously donated by the Walt Disney Company
- 2 Tickets to a Los Angeles Kings Hockey Game
Generously donated by Kamiya Insurance Agency
- Rice Cookers and Other Products
Generously donated by Tiger Corporation U.S.A.
- Gift Certificate to Tanaka Farms (Irvine, California) – For up to 4 persons
(up to $100 value)
Generously donated by Tanaka Farms
- Irvine Park Railroad Train + Bike Rental + OC Zoo Bundle (Orange, California)
($85 value – includes 8 x Irvine Park Railroad Train Tickets, 1 Wheel Fun Rentals at Irvine Park Bike, 4 x Orange County Zoo Tickets – does not include parking fee)
Generously donated by Irvine Park Railroad
- 2 Tickets to Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach, California)
(up to approx. $73 value)
Generously donated by Aquarium of the Pacific
- Tickets to the Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens (San Marino, California)
Generously donated by the Huntington Library
- Vintage Kimono/Obi (Various Colors) and Dining/Plate Sets (Various Styles)
Generously donated by the Doktor Family
- Shimanchu Art & Music Bundle
(includes items from Okinawan creatives in North and Latin America)
Generously donated by Lauren Higa, Ichariba Choodee Podcast, Elyse Izumi, LisaRisa Illustration & Design, and more
- Reusable Face Masks with Okinawan Designs
- Japanese Items: Ceramics, decorative art, dishes, lacquerware
- Pop Culture Items: Disney, Funko, Lego, Pokémon
- Plus more to be announced!
- The online auction starts on November 20th (2 p.m. Pacific) and ends on the 28th (8 p.m. Pacific)
- Visit 32auctions and create an account
(32auctions will email you; follow the instructions to finish creating your account)
- Visit our auction page and click the green “View All Items” button
(you must click this button to see every auction item that is available)
- If you see an item that you are interested in, click on the item image
- Type in your bid amount (note “Current Bid Amount” and “Minimum Increment”)
- Click the “Place My Bid” button and then click the “Submit Bid” button (32auctions will send a confirmation email to you; you will also receive an email if someone bids higher than you)
Before bidding, please note the “Pickup/Shipping Instructions” and “Shipping Options.” If you are the winner, a payment request will be emailed to you on November 28.
- オークション期間：１１月２０日 (午後２時から) 〜 ２８日 (午後８時まで)
オークションは 32auctions.com で行われます
- 32auctions にアクセスして、アカウントを作成 (32auctionsからアカウントの作成を完了するための手順がメールで送信されます)
- 32auctions.com/oaa2021 にアクセスして、緑色「View All Items」のボタンをクリック (すべてのアイテムを表示するには、このボタンをクリックするが必要)
- 入札金額を入力 (現在の入札金額と最小入札金額にご注意ください)
- 「Place My Bid」のボタンをクリック。そして、「Submit Bid」のボタンをクリック (32auctionsから確認メールが送信されます。 誰かがあなたより高く入札した場合にもメールが届きます。)
(Auction image from Stock.Adobe.com)
Sponsored by Uyehara Travel
Screenshot from last year’s Virtual Bingo
November 28, 2021 (Sunday) via Zoom
3 p.m. Pacific Time
Priority will be given to current OAA members
REGISTRATION REQUIRED • Deadline: November 19, 2020
(the Zoom link will be emailed to you)
午後３時 Pacific Time
登録が必要 • 締め切り：２０２１年１１月１９日
During this time of social distancing, we’ve missed seeing your faces! Let’s meet virtually while having fun and win prizes, too! Join us as a family!
WHO CAN PLAY:
- OAA members 18 and older (if you are under 18, legal guardian must be present)
- Must have access to internet and an email address
- No email/internet? Ask a relative to help and play together!
(Bingo card image from Pixabay.com)
BOOK SALE • 絵本の販売
A picture book for all ages! 年齢を問わず絵本！
$25 each (plus shipping) • Free exclusive art postcard with every order!
PRE-ORDER DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 19, 2021 (Postmarked)
Download Order Form (PDF)
IKIGAI: Life’s Purpose
Written by Chiemi Souen (Hawai‘i)
Illustrations by Flor Kaneshiro (Argentina)
Published by Brandylane Publishers
Every day, Choichi Terukina practices singing and playing the three-stringed sanshin with his teacher, Miyazato-Sensei. Choichi wants to become a great musician and share the art of utasanshin with the world beyond his island home. But is that truly his ikigai—his life’s purpose? Inspired by the life of Living National Treasure of Japan, Choichi Terukina, IKIGAI: Life’s Purpose is a beautiful tale of determination for anyone searching for their place in the world.
DONATE / GIVING TUESDAY
Please donate on our Facebook page on November 30!
#GivingTuesday is a global day of charitable giving that has become popular on social media websites. It takes place annually on the Tuesday after the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday and the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping sales. The OAA has been participating in this campaign for the past few years and we use Facebook as our main platform to accept donations.
If you would like to make a direct donation to the OAA, please download this form (PDF) and mail it to the OAA office.
Yutasarugutu unigee sabira. Yoroshiku onegaiitashimasu.