Please contact the OAA office
firstname.lastname@example.org, (310) 532-1929
Hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4 p.m.
on MAY 29, 2020 OR postmarked* by MAY 29, 2020
* If mailing the documents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to inform the OAA office about submission and follow-up to confirm delivery.
Every year, the Okinawa Association of America, Inc. (OAA) recognizes and rewards graduating high school seniors of Okinawan descent. The selection process will be based on the student’s academic accomplishments, extracurricular activities, community contributions, transcript, essays, letters of recommendation, financial need and special consideration for community hours at the OAA.
- Graduating high school seniors (class of 2020) of Southern California who will attend college in the 2020 – 2021 academic year
- Children of Okinawan ancestry
- Children of parent(s) who are current 2020 members of the OAA
- Students with a GPA of 3.0 and above
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor or counselor on official letterhead with person’s title (family recommendations will not be accepted)
- Two (2) essays
- Application must be typed, printed out, and signed (handwritten applications will not be accepted)
- All required documents must be postmarked by May 29, 2020 OR hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4.p.m. on May 29, 2020
Scholarship recipients will be notified prior to the OAA Annual Picnic on Sunday, July 12, 2020 at Whittier Narrows Park (South El Monte, CA) where scholarship awards will be presented. Recipients are asked to attend this event or send a representative to receive the award from the OAA President.