ATTENTION OAA MEMBERS!
The Uchinaa Junior Study Program (formerly the Junior Study Tour) is an annual immersion program that brings middle and high school students to the islands of Okinawa.
Sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Government, elected students are given an all-expense-paid trip to study Okinawan history, culture, society, and diaspora, with an emphasis on nature, peace, and identity. Students will also be given the opportunity to interact with Uchinaanchu from around the world as well as students from Okinawa, with the hope that bonds and understandings will develop between overseas Uchinaanchu and their mother island.
Please contact your nearest kenjinkai/association to apply!
TOUR DATES: July 29 ~ August 4, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 23, 2018 (FRIDAY)
It may be delivered in person, mailed, or emailed, but it MUST be in the OAA office by 4:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time). The application process is extensive, so please do not wait until the last minute.
If you are an OAA member, please continue reading for eligibility, documents, and more information ⤵️
Please read the following information and downloaded files carefully. The application process is extensive, so please do not wait until the last minute.
Eligibility/Qualifications for OAA Members:
- Applicant must be fully or partially of Okinawan descent
- Applicant or their parents must be current OAA members
- Applicant must be enrolled in middle or high school
- Between 13 – 19 years old as of April 2, 2018
- Applicant must have relatives or friends in Okinawa available for applicant’s homestay (a few days)
- From arriving in Okinawa until July 28 (program start-date)
- From August 4 (program end-date) until returning home
- Applicant must be in good health and able to handle group living
Necessary Documents for Application:
Each kenjinkai/association may nominate candidates for consideration to participate in the Uchinaa Junior Study Program. The International Exchange Division of the Okinawa Prefectural Government will make the final selections.
Please note that kenjinkai/association membership and submission of application do not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- English and Japanese application forms: Download (PDF)
- The office can assist with the Japanese application form.
- 2 copies of applicant’s passport picture (4 cm x 3 cm)
- 1-page essay: Download (MS Word)
- Topic: “My identity as an Uchinaanchu/Okinawan”
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 23, 2018
It may be delivered in person, mailed, or emailed, but it MUST be in the OAA office by 4:00 PM. The application process is extensive, so please do not wait until the last minute.
- Nature: Learn about the importance of Okinawa nature, flora, and fauna
- History: Visit historic Okinawan landmarks, experience history and the romance of the Ryukyu Dynasty
- Culture: Hands-on experience to learn the culture of the traditional crafts and performing arts from Okinawan history
- Peace: Visit battlefields from the war, learn about history and peace
- Society: Experience daily life in Okinawa, understand Okinawa’s situation
- Immigrant and Immigration: Learn about history of Immigrant and immigration in Okinawa, Worldwide Uchinanchu Festival, and World Uchinanchu Day, revalidate Uchinanchu identity