Sunday [日曜日], January 19, 2014 [2014年1月19日]
11:00AM ~ 3:30PM [11時 ~ 3時30分]
Quiet Cannon Conference & Event Center
901 Via San Clemente, Montebello, California
Facebook Event Page
Celebrate 2014 with Uchinaanchu spirit! The Okinawa Association of America’s New Year’s Party returns to Quiet Cannon Restaurant in Montebello, California, bringing you delicious food, exciting raffle prizes, and intimate performances that showcase the cultural arts of Okinawa, Japan, and Hawai’i!
Tickets [チケット]: $40.00 for adults and $20 for children (under 11) available to purchase through the OAA office. Reservation deadline is January 10, 2014 (tickets will increase to $50 thereafter).
Entree [食べ物]: Filet mignon and salmon combination. Vegetarian pasta with roasted garlic and tomato basil sauce also available upon request. Children (under 11) will be served chicken fingers and fries.
Program is subject to change
- Kaimaku (Opening Classical Music) [開幕]
- Presentation of Awards
- Installation of 2014 Board Members, Officers, and Chairpersons
- Sake Barrel Ceremony
- Year of the Horse Celebrants (Kampai)
Cultural Performances [文化公演]:
Program is subject to change
- Traditional Okinawan Dance [沖縄の踊り]: Miyagi-Ryu Nosho-Kai Miyagi Nosho Ryubu Kenkyusho • Miyagi-Ryu Toyomu-Kai Arakaki Sachiko Ryubu Kenkyusho • Miyagi-Ryu Nosho-Kai Numata Michiko Ryubu Kenkyusho
- Traditional Okinawan Music [三線とエイサー太鼓]: Ryukyu Minyo Kyokai Hokubei Shibu • Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko – Los Angeles Branch
- Karate [空手]: Okinawa Budokan (Sensei Eihachi Ota)
- Karaoke [カラオケ]: Shingi Kuniyoshi (OAA President) & Setsuko Fujimoto (OAA Karaoke Club Chairperson)
- Special Guest Performers: Yoko Awaya Koto Music Conservatory (Traditional Japanese Music), Hickory Elementary & Madrona Middle School (Hula), Michiko Mickey Doktor (Traditional Japanese Dance)
- Special Collaborations: Harriet Harumi Furuya & Ai Teshima (karaoke with original Tahitian dance choreography) • Atsushi Gushi & William Logan (Okinawan taiko and western drums jam session)
Raffle Prizes [抽選]:
- GRAND PRIZE: Roundtrip ticket to Tokyo, Japan donated by Uyehara Travel (tax and fuel surcharge is not included and there are blackout dates)
- GRAND PRIZE: VIZIO 32″ HD Flatscreen Smart TV with Wi-Fi donated by Kamiya Insurance Agency
- ALSO: Cash prizes, gift cards, and more!
Volunteers Needed [ボランティア]:
Volunteers need not work the entire day and we would be grateful if you can spare just a few hours! A free boxed lunch of sandwich, snack and beverage will be provided on 1/19/14 to volunteers who are not buying the $40 luncheon ticket but are willing to work at least 3 hours the day of the party. We can accommodate people who are buying their luncheon tickets, by assigning them to the pre-party morning shift (8-11AM) or the post-party shift so they may enjoy the party.
If you are interested in giving just a few hours of your time helping at the OAA’s largest gathering of the year, please sign up below and mail to the OAA Center, 16500 S. Western Avenue #203, Gardena, CA 90247, or you may simply contact the office at (310) 532-1929 or e-mail us at
All volunteers who will work at the party must be signed up by Friday, January 10 in order to get the free boxed lunch, if not purchasing the $40 ticket. A short instructional meeting may be held at the OAA Center, date to be announced.
We are in need of volunteers to help with various tasks:
- truck-loading at the OAA Center (Saturday 1/18/14)
- truck-unloading and stage set-up at the party at Quiet Cannon, starts at 8:00AM (Sunday 1/19/14)
- table set up, reception/merchandise help at party, starts at 8:00AM (Sunday 1/19/14)
- stage crew at party, starts 12:00PM (Sunday 1/19/14)
- truck-loading after party at Quiet Cannon around 4:00PM
- truck-unloading at OAA Center after party at 4:30PM (Sunday 1/19/14)
Photos courtesy of Stuart Yamashiro