ATTENTION MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS!
The Uchina Junior Study Program (formerly the Junior Study Tour) is an annual immersion program that brings 15 middle and high school students to the islands of Okinawa. Sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Government, elected students are given an all-expense-paid trip to study Okinawan history, culture, society, and Diaspora, with an emphasis on nature, peace, and identity. Students will also be given the opportunity to interact with Uchinanchu from around the world as well as students from Okinawa, with the hope that bonds and understandings will develop between overseas Uchinanchu and their mother island.
- Nature: Learn about the importance of Okinawa’s plants and animals while directly experiencing the beauties that nature has to offer.
- History: Visit the historical sites of Okinawa and learn more about the era of the Ryukyu Kingdom.
- Culture: Experience the culture through handicrafts and performing arts born from Okinawan history.
- Peace: Contemplate the meaning of peace while visiting battle sites from World War II’s Battle of Okinawa and other significant places.
- Society: Experience daily Okinawan life to gather a better understanding of Okinawa’s present situation.
- Emigration: Study the history of Okinawa emigrants while reflecting on Okinawan identity.
- Planned arrival in Okinawa: July 28, 2013
- Homestay with relatives: July 28 ~ August 3, 2013
- Junior Study Program: August 4 ~ August 10, 2013
- Homestay with relatives: August 10 ~ August 12, 2013
- Planned return from Okinawa: August 12, 2013
Extended length of stay in Okinawa is not permitted
Requirements for Participation:
- Applicants must be fully or partially of Okinawan descent
- Applicants or their parents must be current OAA members
- Applicants must be enrolled in middle or high school (12~19 years old)
- Applicants must have relatives or friends in Okinawa available for applicant’s homestay (see Participation Schedule)
Necessary Documents for Application:
Please note that application does not guarantee participation.
- Application form
- 2 copies of applicant’s passport picture (3cm x 2cm)
- 1-page essay: “What I Want to Experience in the Junior Study Program”
Each Kenjinkai may nominate one candidate to Okinawa for consideration to participate in the Uchina Junior Study Program. Please contact the OAA office for an application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, April 5,2013