The 2013 application for the Kempi Scholarship to study in Okinawa is now available for interested persons. This unique and incredibly wonderful opportunity has been around a long time, but has changed and expanded in the past few years.
This annual scholarship provides three different opportunities:
- study one year at one of five universities in Okinawa: University of Ryukyus, Okinawa University, Okinawa International University, Okinawa Prefectural University of Arts, Meio University
- study one year at a university and one year of fieldwork
- study a traditional Okinawan art (dance, textiles, sanshin, music, etc.) for one year
To be eligible to apply:
- Must be recommended by an Okinawa Kenjinkai in the US (contact your local Kenjinkai or OAA for more details)
- Must be between 18 and 35 years of age (not older than 35 by April 1, 2013)
- Must have some basic Japanese language skills (level requirement varies depending on which scholarship opportunity)
- Must have relatives or family friend who is willing to sponsor the student
For more information or to obtain a copy of the application, please contact Yuko in the OAA office as soon as possible.
DEADLINE: October 15, 2012, Monday by 4:00pm