Okinawa Association of America (OAA) VIRTUAL Picnic
August 2, 2020 (Sunday) • 1 – 3:30 p.m. Pacific
Join us from home! 家から参加！
(Check back for the viewing link)
Please contact the OAA office
email@example.com, (310) 532-1929
Hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4 p.m.
on MAY 29, 2020 OR postmarked* by MAY 29, 2020
* If mailing the documents, it is the responsibility of the applicant to inform the OAA office about submission and follow-up to confirm delivery.
Every year, the Okinawa Association of America, Inc. (OAA) recognizes and rewards graduating high school seniors of Okinawan descent. The selection process will be based on the student’s academic accomplishments, extracurricular activities, community contributions, transcript, essays, letters of recommendation, financial need and special consideration for community hours at the OAA.
- Graduating high school seniors (class of 2020) of Southern California who will attend college in the 2020 – 2021 academic year
- Children of Okinawan ancestry
- Children of parent(s) who are current 2020 members of the OAA
- Students with a GPA of 3.0 and above
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, coach, mentor or counselor on official letterhead with person’s title (family recommendations will not be accepted)
- Two (2) essays
- Application must be typed, printed out, and signed (handwritten applications will not be accepted)
- All required documents must be postmarked by May 29, 2020 OR hand-delivered to the OAA office by 4.p.m. on May 29, 2020
Scholarship recipients will be notified prior to the OAA Annual Picnic on Sunday, July 12, 2020 at Whittier Narrows Park (South El Monte, CA) where scholarship awards will be presented. Recipients are asked to attend this event or send a representative to receive the award from the OAA President.
This page is intended for members of the
Okinawa kenjinkai/association in Los Angeles, California.
Please contact your nearest kenjinkai/association to apply!
ATTENTION OAA MEMBERS!
The Uchinaa Junior Study Program (formerly the Junior Study Tour) is an annual immersion program that brings middle and high school students to the islands of Okinawa.
Sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Government, elected students are given an all-expense-paid trip to study Okinawan history, culture, society, and diaspora, with an emphasis on nature, peace, and identity. Students will also be given the opportunity to interact with Uchinaanchu from around the world as well as students from Okinawa, with the hope that bonds and understandings will develop between overseas Uchinaanchu and their mother island.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 10, 2020 (MONDAY)
It may be delivered in person, mailed, or emailed, but it MUST be in the OAA office before 4:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time). The application process is extensive, so please do not wait until the last minute.
If you are an OAA member, please continue reading for eligibility and more information ⤵️
December 8, 2019 (Sunday)
9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (extended time!)
OAA Center, Yamauchi Building
16500 S. Western Ave., Gardena, CA 90247
１２月８日 (日) • 午前９時〜午後２時
沖縄県人会会館 • 山内ビル
Okinawa Association of America’s
Annual Okinawa Bazaar & Fundraiser
Sunday, October 6, 2019 • 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Facebook Event Page
16500 South Western Avenue, Gardena 90247
(Please use street-side parking)